Kids in Santa Cruz County are going back to school in the most difficult time of their lives. The impact of COVID-19 and the wildfires are causing severe detriment to the education of the youth of our community. Here is what our CASA Advocates can do to support the students they serve. We hope these suggestions are helpful for others to support the students in their lives as well:
- Identify with students what motivates them to keep going, asking Parents/Caregivers/Ed Rights Holders, FosterEd Liaisons, and students’ Therapists for guidance.
- Check in more often with students on how things are going for them with class meetings, assignments, or other school services. Possibly offer to support them with work.
- Help students and their caregivers navigate through Google Classroom:
- There are videos that districts, like PVUSD, created to use Google Classroom, and other online platforms in English and Spanish. (see below)
- If comfortable with technology, help students or family do a walk through or teach them new skills to make it easier.
- Download Google Classroom app for caregivers. Teachers can send an invitation to caregivers to connect and monitor class assignments.
Please know that all school districts are working diligently to move forward with a contingency plan to support students during distance learning this fall. Advocates are encouraged to view their child/youth's school district website for updates as well as check these weekly updates:
Santa Cruz County Office of Education (Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Faris Sabbah):
California Department of Education Facebook Page:
Here are a few resources to assist families that are learning new technologies and can help bridge the digital divide and help children be successful with distance learning:
Pajaro Valley Unified School District Distance Learning Resources:
- Tutorial videos in English and Spanish for students and their caregivers to use Google Classroom, Google Meet, and more. Click on the link to view their videos:
- PVUSD’s Resources for Parents Page, which includes Instructional and Technology Support Hotline as well as a Parent Engagement Team, click here:
- Santa Cruz City Schools Family Guide to Distance Learning:
And, as Advocates, it's important to have fun with the kids. Here are some fun suggestions:
Monterey Bay Aquarium
For All Educators Page:
- Live Cameras: https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/live-cams
San Diego Zoo
- Live Cameras: https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm771q_aR6wIVxyCtBh1yAwvxEAAYASAAEgKAJfD_BwE
- Ed Resources Page: https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/educational-resources
The SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s Daytime Emmy®-nominated and award-winning children’s literacy website, Storyline Online®, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations. Readers include Oprah Winfrey, Chris Pine, Kristen Bell, Rita Moreno, Viola Davis, Jaime Camil, Kevin Costner, Lily Tomlin, Sarah Silverman, Betty White, Wanda Sykes and dozens more. Click here to view their stories: https://www.storylineonline.net/