There is a larger percentage of children of color in foster care nationwide than in the general population, and in Santa Cruz County this is specifically true for Latinx children. Learn more about racial disparities in child welfare, how systemic racism contributes to disproportionality, and explore materials that can support individuals in their own self -reflection and growth in areas of recognizing inequities and preventing implicit bias from harming the children, youth, and families we serve.
All CASA Advocates are required to complete a minimum of 2 hours of continuing education on issues of Race & Equity. Please choose something from this list, or feel free to find something on your own and notify your Advocate Supervisor so we can add it to our list, too.
Online & Virtual Trainings
- UCLA Pritzker Center x Dr: Jessica Pryce: Eradicating Racism and Bias in Foster Care (1 hour of continuing education)
- Implicit Racial Bias 101: Exploring Implicit Bias in Child Protection Kirwan Institute For The Study of Race And Ethnicity-Online Training (1 hour of continuing education)
- Watch these two Ted Talks for .5 hour of continuing education:
- The Emotional Trauma of Racial Disparities for Children of Color in the Child Welfare System (1 hrs of continuing education)
- Social and Behavioral Determinants of Toxic Stress (.5 hour of continuing education)
- A Historical Examination of Racism in the United States and Its Impact on the Black Community Video (1 hour of continuing education)
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man with Emmanuel Acho, Multiple Episodes (1 hour of continuing education)
- Placing Equity Concerns at the Center of Knowledge Development (1 hour of continuing education)
- Moving Beyond Diversity Toward Racial Equity (.5 hour of continuing education)
- Racial Justice in the Foster Care System: We Can Do Better (.5 hour of continuing education)
- Better Outcomes for Older Youth of Color in Foster Care (.5 hour of continuing education)
- Key Equity Terms and Concepts-Center for the Study of Social Policy (.5 hour of continuing education)
- Implicit Bias in the Child Welfare, Education and Mental Health Systems-NATIONAL CENTER FOR YOUTH LAW (1 hour continuing education)
- ‘I Was Denied the Right to Keep My Family Intact’ – Black families like mine have been separated for generations By Amber Wilkes-Smith (.5 hour of continuing education)
- Stages in Children’s Dev of Racial Identity and Attitudes by Louise Derman-Sparks (.5 hour of continuing education)
- SCCOE Initiative for Racial Equity and Justice: The purpose of this initiative is to provide a dynamic hub for educators engaging in courageous conversations about race and equity with each other and their students by providing both links to online resources and an ongoing community of practice on racial justice for local educators.
- Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Resource List from Healing Equity United: Our mission is to foster equity, diversity, and inclusivity by compelling individuals to examine their own power and privilege. We move them from awareness to action, ultimately realigning resources, dismantling systems of oppression, and healing communities.